Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders
Certificate Level: Graduate
Admission Requirements: Bachelor's degree
Certificate Type: Post-Baccalaureate
Number of Credits to Completion: 16.5
Instructional Delivery: Online, Campus
Calendar Type: Quarter
Maximum Time Frame: 1 year
Financial Aid Eligibility: Aid eligible
Within the past decade, the number of children diagnosed with autism or Asperger’s syndrome has increased drastically. Consequently, the need for professionals trained in this specialized area has significantly increased. This certificate is designed for those who seek additional expertise in this critical-need area. Students who complete the graduate-level Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders program are equipped with the fundamental skills, knowledge, teaching methods, interventions, and supports needed to work with students with autism and Asperger’s syndrome.
The program is a part-time graduate program consisting of 5 courses (16.5 credits). Teacher certification is not a requirement for admission to this program, however applicants are expected to have completed a bachelor's degree. Upon completion of the program, students with an active PA Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate are eligible for the Pennsylvania Department of Education Autism Spectrum Disorders Endorsement.
Students applying to this program should have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate GPAs will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA).
- Completed graduate school application.
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended.
- Two letters of recommendation - professional or academic.
- An essay describing why the applicant is interested in pursuing graduate study in this field.
|EDEX 551||Pervasive Developmental Disorders (pre-requisite for core courses)||4.5|
|EDEX 556||Characteristics & Methods: Autism||3.0|
|EDEX 558||Characteristics & Methods: High Functioning Autism||3.0|
|EDEX 560||Communication & Language Interventions: Autism Spectrum Disorders||3.0|
|EDEX 562||Behavior & Sensory Support: Autism Spectrum Disorders||3.0|
A field component is required in each course.
For more information about this program, contact the program manager:
School of Education