Minor in Communication

About the Minor

The minor in communication is a 24.0 credit curriculum designed to familiarize students with communication theory while providing training in print and digital communication. The minor can provide a strong complement for majors that emphasize presentations, interpersonal skills, publicity, and marketing. Students minoring in communication can focus on public relations, journalism, technical and science communication, environmental communication, or nonprofit communication.

All prospective students should meet with an advisor from the College as soon as possible.

Students complete 2 required courses, 2 courses in one of the areas listed below, and four additional electives from the COM course offerings that fit their interest. 

Please note: No more than three courses that are required for a student’s major can count towards fulfilling requirements for the minor.

Core Courses
COM 101Human Communication3.0
or COM 111 Principles of Communication
COM 210Theory and Models of Communication3.0
Focus Areas6.0
Select one of the following areas of focus (2 courses):
Introduction to Journalism
Advanced Journalism
Public Relations
Public Relations Principles and Theory
Business Communication
Public Relations Writing in the Digital Age
Public Relations Research, Measurement and Evaluation
Technical and Science Communication
Technical Communication
Science Writing
Grant Writing
Environmental Communication
Campaigns for Health & Environment
Film, Celebrity and the Environmental Movement
Environmental Communication
FOUR Additional Courses
Four COM or LING electives 12.0
Total Credits24.0

Writing-Intensive Course Requirements

In order to graduate, all students must pass three writing-intensive courses after their freshman year. Two writing-intensive courses must be in a student's major. The third can be in any discipline. Students are advised to take one writing-intensive class each year, beginning with the sophomore year, and to avoid “clustering” these courses near the end of their matriculation. Transfer students need to meet with an academic advisor to review the number of writing-intensive courses required to graduate.

A "WI" next to a course in this catalog may indicate that this course can fulfill a writing-intensive requirement. For the most up-to-date list of writing-intensive courses being offered, students should check the Writing Intensive Course List at the University Writing Program. Students scheduling their courses can also conduct a search for courses with the attribute "WI" to bring up a list of all writing-intensive courses available that term.

  • Schedule of Classes
  • All Course Descriptions
  • Co-op
  • Academic Advising
  • Admissions
  • Tuition & Fees